Amanda-Users

RE: Tape retirement

2002-09-05 22:15:55
Subject: RE: Tape retirement
From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 22:04:04 -0400
AFAIK, AMANDA never formats tapes. They are rewritten from block 1, but not
formatted or retensioned.

If you keep all your old backup reports, you can figure out how many times a
tape has been used, and replace it when the time comes. If you'd like to add
tape aging features to the software, please joing the amanda-hackers mailing
list. I don't remember that being on the wish list, but I don't think anyone
would complain about a useful feature, either.

For my DDS3 tapes, I run them until I get errors on a tape twice in a row.
Then it gets discarded. I have a stack of spares that I inherited, so
replacements are easy. I also test restoring a random tape every month, so I
know I'm not just blindly casting my bits to the ether.