Amanda-Users

tar and one-file-system advice

2002-09-03 20:09:05
Subject: tar and one-file-system advice
From: <ahall AT secureworks DOT net>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:40:30 -0400 (EDT)
Greetings,

I use amanda 2.4.p2-4 with tar and I have a directory on one of my hosts
that has an odd setup.  I have seven mount points with seven
subdirectories that I need to archive.  Some of the sub directories have
data at any given time and some do not.  The data changes rapidly.  My
thought was that I could create a directory on / and symlink to the real
directories (see below), but that is not working.  What is happening is
that only the symlinks are getting archived.

/newdir/link0 -> /mnt_pt0/dir
/newdir/link1 -> /mnt_pt1/dir
/newdir/link2 -> /mnt_pt2/dir
(etc..etc)

I believe that this is because of the one-file-system argument passed to
tar by amanda.  My question is two fold:

1) Is there any way to disable the one-file-system option?  If so can this
be done on a single disk list entry, new dumptype?

2) Should I just backup each directory seperate?   This make restores
confusing, as I have to issue a new amrestore cmd for each mount point.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

Andrew