Amanda-Users

Re: Testing tapes

2002-09-02 12:09:29
Subject: Re: Testing tapes
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Brian Jonnes <brian AT init.co DOT za>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 11:35:28 -0400
On Monday 02 September 2002 02:24, Brian Jonnes wrote:
>On Sun 01 Sep 02 20:51, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Thats just a wee bit more than my tapetype says it is here, I
>> got 3780mb as the capacity.
>
>Odd.

No, not really.  It just demonstrates that the marketing weenies
tend to round things off to the next higher gigabyte in their
propaganda releases.  I'd use whatever 'tapetype' spits out for
your drive and tape.

>> What version of amanda?  There was a period of a couple of weeks
>> where the internal rewind function was a bit foobar.  The tape
>> might not have been rewound, but then again, thats wrong cause
>> it had to rewind it to verify it was the right tape, which it
>> apparently did.  Anyway, the current snapshot is
>> 2.4.3b4-20020829 and all *known* bugs have been squished.
>
>Hrm. Running Debian Woody's version (2.4.2p2).

Quite a bit has been fixed in 2.4.3b4.  Use the same configuration
as for 2.4.2p2 and it should drop right in on top of the old
install, I do that here as soon as the next one is out.  That might
indeed fix this problem.  Its clean code, even builds with gcc-3.2
:-)

[...]

>It be an IDE drive.

Humm, that I've no experience with at all, but I'd assume you have
to use the 'ide-scsi' interface in order to talk to it since the
ide interface was never intended to be used for sequential block
devices.  Atapi extends this.  I use ide-scsi here, but to talk to
my cdrom/cdrw drive.

>> I've been getting mine on ebay, and allthough the price has
>> risen somewhat, you should be able to get a couple of 10 packs
>> for $35-$40 a 10-pack.  Plus the inevitable shipping of course.
>
>Dunno if the shipping is gonna kill it for me, being in SA ;)

Ah, yeah there is that.  But still, even if it was another 40 USD to
get it there, thats still cheaper by quite a bit than TR-4's are in
this neck of the woods.  However I've heard some stories about
merchandise being held for ransom by the local agents too in some
areas of your hemisphere.  Is that a problem in your area?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M