Amanda-Users

Re: Testing tapes

2002-09-01 15:17:54
Subject: Re: Testing tapes
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Brian Jonnes <brian AT init.co DOT za>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 14:51:39 -0400
On Sunday 01 September 2002 10:09, Brian Jonnes wrote:
>On Sat 31 Aug 02 16:11, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Saturday 31 August 2002 07:45, Brian Jonnes wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I think I have a faulty tape or two. What is the best
>> > recommended way of testing this? Generate a file from
>> > /dev/urandom, write it to the tape and md5sum it?
>>
>> Most drives do the equ of that themselves. its when they can't
>> recover the error that you become aware that its doing re-read
>> after re-read and reporting a failure.
>
>Okay, here's the deal. I'll use my DAILY_04 tape as an example.
> Dump on 13/08:
>
>---
>These dumps were to tape DAILY_04.
>The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DAILY_05.
>

>STATISTICS:
>                          Total       Full      Daily
>                        --------   --------   --------
>Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:01
>Run Time (hrs:min)         2:46
>Dump Time (hrs:min)        1:46       1:20       0:25
>Output Size (meg)        3940.3     2940.1     1000.2
>Original Size (meg)      6798.4     5010.1     1788.3
>Avg Compressed Size (%)    58.0       58.7       55.9
> (level:#disks ...) Filesystems Dumped           27         13
>     14   (1:8 2:4 3:2) Avg Dump Rate (k/s)       637.2      626.3
>      671.6
>---

Thats just a wee bit more than my tapetype says it is here, I got
3780mb as the capacity.

>As you can see, the tape was used to the full. Now, on 31/08 I had
> a failure:
>
>---
>These dumps were to tape DAILY_04.
>*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing filemark: Input/output
> error]]. Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
>Run amflush to flush them to tape.
>The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DAILY_05.
>
>FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>  valhalla   /export/mail/pmail.usr lev 0 FAILED [disk
> /export/mail/pmail.usr offline on valhalla?]
>  valhalla   /export/mail/subs lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
>---
>
>Now from this I'd assume it was trying to write too much data. But
> looking at the log files, it seems that it only wrote a couple of
> kb (unfortunately I can't access the server right at the mo').
>
>Where am I going wrong? Are the logs straightforward to interpret
> (i.e. I add up the kb for the DUMPER lines up until the point of
> failure)? Can tapes be intermittent?

What version of amanda?  There was a period of a couple of weeks
where the internal rewind function was a bit foobar.  The tape
might not have been rewound, but then again, thats wrong cause it
had to rewind it to verify it was the right tape, which it
apparently did.  Anyway, the current snapshot is 2.4.3b4-20020829
and all *known* bugs have been squished.

Also, what scsi card? Adaptec 1542's are getting a bad rep in this
group.  They do not do tape happily.

>> failed, one of them ripping the tapes in two violently, in less
>> than a year.  So generally speaking, TR4's aren't any more, or
>> less dependable than a DDS2, but the DDSx format is slowly
>> pulling ahead in my personal tally sheets.  Plus the DDS2 tapes
>> are beaucoup cheaper...

I've been getting mine on ebay, and allthough the price has risen
somewhat, you should be able to get a couple of 10 packs for
$35-$40 a 10-pack.  Plus the inevitable shipping of course.
In any event $4 for a DDS2 sure beats nearly $50 for a pair of
TR4's.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M