Amanda-Users

Re: Trivial question - No Flames please

2002-09-02 00:31:17
Subject: Re: Trivial question - No Flames please
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "Potts, Ross A." <RPOTTS AT northropgrumman DOT com>, "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 23:18:06 -0500
Some manufacturers advertise them as 10GB, but they are really
5GB native capacity.  The 160m 8mm tapes are 7GB native.
   Compression can make your data anywhere from somewhat larger
to considerably smaller, depending on what it is.  Repetitive
text files like web logs can compress amazingly well, already
compressed files like most image, music, and video files, and
.Z and .gz files, will get a little bigger if you try to compress
them again.

Frank
(sorry if this gets posted twice, my mail client freaked and I
don't know if it went out before or not)

--On Sunday, September 01, 2002 20:24:27 -0700 "Potts, Ross A." <RPOTTS AT

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com