Amanda-Users

Re: Firewire Harddrive backup from X-Serve

2002-08-29 13:07:21
Subject: Re: Firewire Harddrive backup from X-Serve
From: greg <slay AT slough-feg DOT com>
To: tshadwick AT stgroupllc DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:56:01 -0700
Rsync works great for this. I am using it currently to mirror about half a terrabtye and still
working on Amanda to dump it to tape.

--

Tony Shadwick wrote:

I just pitched a proposal to a client that is purchasing a Macintosh
X-Serve.  A tape changer drive is a bit pricey for their tastes, so they
chose to go with a pair of large firewire hard drives that I take off site
every few days.

What I'm trying to decide is which would be more simple.  A cron job running
some sort of copy command nightly (which, btw...I'm not sure which one I'd
use!  ditto, cp (insert dozens of switches here), dd), or to use amanda to
dump to the drive.

The goal would be to have something to where if the machine failed, recovery
would be as painless as plugging the firewire drive into another mac.

Anyone have experience with this first hand?  Useful speculation from
experienced amanda users?

Tony Shadwick
Manager of Internet Services
Strategic Technology Group