Amanda-Users

Re: Firewire Harddrive backup from X-Serve

2002-08-29 12:45:28
Subject: Re: Firewire Harddrive backup from X-Serve
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:24:59 -0400
On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 10:12:24AM -0500, Tony Shadwick wrote:
> I just pitched a proposal to a client that is purchasing a Macintosh
> X-Serve.  A tape changer drive is a bit pricey for their tastes, so they
> chose to go with a pair of large firewire hard drives that I take off site
> every few days.
>
> What I'm trying to decide is which would be more simple.  A cron job running
> some sort of copy command nightly (which, btw...I'm not sure which one I'd
> use!  ditto, cp (insert dozens of switches here), dd), or to use amanda to
> dump to the drive.
>
> The goal would be to have something to where if the machine failed, recovery
> would be as painless as plugging the firewire drive into another mac.

Neither amanda, nor backup programs in general have this goal.

> Anyone have experience with this first hand?  Useful speculation from
> experienced amanda users?

No experience, but isn't that the task that rsync is intended for,
synchronize two directory trees?  I think that is how many mirror'ed
websites are maintained.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)