Amanda-Users

Ongoing issues

2002-08-27 12:57:31
Subject: Ongoing issues
From: "Larry Dunham" <ldunham AT 1tech DOT net>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:33:01 -0500
I know I've seen this issue here thousand times but I've tried everything I
have been able to find, to no avail.  When running amcheck as the backup
user I'm getting the classic "access to [problemhost] not allowed from
[backupuser@problemhost]"

This Amanda installation also backs up remote machines with no problem; it
just won't access the local machine to back itself up.

Things I've Checked:
1)  .amandahosts permissions are set to -rw-------
2)  .amandahosts is owned by the backup user
3)  .amandahosts has entries
                [problemhost]  [root]
                [problemhost]  [backupuser]

4)  the machine is listed in the disklist file (obviously, or it wouldn't
generate the error)
5)  xinetd.d has an 'amanda' file with the correct backup user shown
6)  all of the executables in /usr/local/sbin are owned by the backup user
(except amcheck which is owned by root)
7)  all of the executables in /usr/local/sbin have permissions rwxr-xr-x
(except amcheck which is rwsr-xr-x)

By the way we also have another Amanda server backing up itself and some
remote machines, and it works fine, and all the above things (except host
names, of course) are identical to the machine that works ok.  What am I
missing?

Larry Dunham