Amanda-Users

Re: amandahostsauth failing -- why?

2002-08-20 18:30:48
Subject: Re: amandahostsauth failing -- why?
From: Schlomo Schwartz <l1nuxn1nja AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Jim Summers <jsummers AT bachman.cs.ou DOT edu>, amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:19:14 -0700 (PDT)
--- Jim Summers <jsummers AT bachman.cs.ou DOT edu> wrote:
> 1. the amanda hosts exists on all participants
> 2. format correct?
>    <hostname> <amandausername> || <hostname.domain>
> <amandausername>
> 3. the file is in the amanda user home.

Here's the contents of my /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts

lin01 amanda
lin01.foobar.com amanda
localhost amanda
localhost.localdomain amanda

By default, there is the last two (localhost* amanda)
and when that didn't work, I added the "lin01 amanda"
entry and when _that_ didn't work, "lin01.foobar.com
amanda" was added.

Here's the permissions on that file:

-rw-------    1 amanda   disk          101 Aug 20
11:28 .amandahosts

xinetd is running on the client and the only service
that's available is amanda.

I don't know what else could be wrong -- I can see the
server request the info, it gets logged, and for some
reason, the server's authentication is failing.  What
sort of authentication is it trying to do, exactly?

Thanks,

Schlomo