Amanda-Users

Re: Disklist - partial directory backup - advice please

2002-08-19 20:48:45
Subject: Re: Disklist - partial directory backup - advice please
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: John Ouellette <ouellet AT amnh DOT org>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 20:31:59 -0400
On Monday 19 August 2002 20:09, John Ouellette wrote:
>We're going a bit far afield from what Kevin had originally posted
> but oh well.
>
>Are you using version 2.4.2, Gene?

No, 2.4.3b3-20020805 right now.  And I'm not having any known
problems, none.  And other than some broken scripting in the
amstatus command, I've had zilch troubles with amanda in the last 4
or more months, thru a goodly number of 2.4.3b* versions.

>  Kevin and I are using v2.4.3b3
> and have found the same problem with exclude lists.  What I have
> found (again, with v2.4.3b3) was that the exclude keyword in a
> dumptype definition *causes the size estimates from tar to fail*.
>  The debug info from Amanda shows that tar is never even called.
> From one of my tests (sendsize.*.debug):
>
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>sendsize: debug 1 pid 27066 ruid 499 euid 499 start time Mon Aug
>/home/amanda/libexec/sendsize: version 2.4.3b3
>sendsize: calculating for amname '/', dirname '/'
>sendsize: getting size via gnutar for / level 0
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Any one of my copious numbers of sendsize.*.debug files is exactly
like the rest, containing only a copy of the exclude file as
follows:
-----
./usr/dumps/*
./var/pacct
-----
So I again submit that the exclude logic isn't broken, but that the
file itself simply isn't being found due to a lack of a full
pathlist in the dumptype specification, as is shown that I am using
below.

>(Note that there were three other partitions called with the same
>dumptype: the size estimates weren't even attempted by amanda --
> the above is the entire contents of the debug file.)  This with a
> dumptype definition of:

This is yours

>define dumptype TEST {
>    global
>    comment "test dumptype"
>    program "GNUTAR"
>    compress none
>    exclude "./amanda" <---whats the current pwd when this
executes?
>    record no
>}
>
>(The idea of the exclude was the same as Kevin's: to exclude the
> holding disk areas from those disks.)  The result is the same if
> I use:
>
>exclude "./amanda*"
>exclude "*amanda*
>exclude list ".amanda.exclude"
>exclude list "./.amanda.exclude"
>
>etc., in the dumptype definition.  The exclude keyword seemed to
> work in v2.4.2p2, but I decided to upgrade to 2.4.3b3 to get
> other features working (I'm not sure if it was worth it now...).

Thats odd. I also note that you still aren't giving it a full path
to the exclude file.  Its possible that the fact that it can't find
it might be enough of an error to cause the tar call to fail.

>I've taken a brief look into the code for how exclude lists are
> handled, but there was such a big change from v2.4.2 to v2.4.3,
> I'm not sure if I'll be able to figure out what broke the exclude
> keyword...
>
>Note that in the amandad debug file, the exclude list seems to be
> parsed OK, so it really must be in the call to sendsize that the
> error is occurring...
>
>J.
>
>On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 19 August 2002 16:12, John Ouellette wrote:
>> >I've played around with the exclude lists for a while (as
>> > defined in the dumptypes) and have had no luck in getting any
>> > configs with exclude lists to work, whether I define the paths
>> > with the leading ./ or no....
>> >
>> >Kevin was using an exclude list defined in the disklist, but I
>> > assume it is the same code that parses this and passes it on
>> > to 'tar', so the same bug might exist.
>> >
>> >And, according to the docs and examples, you do need the
>> > quotes... (or get a parse error if you exclude them).
>>
>> I'm not here, but I'm using an exclude file too, here it is:
>> ---------------------
>> ./usr/dumps/*
>> ./var/pacct
>> ---------------------
>>
>> Also, I recall the filename didn't give the full path in your
>> earler example, which should look like this in your amanda.conf:
>> define dumptype root-tar {
>>     global
>>     program "GNUTAR"
>>     comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
>>     compress none
>>     index yes
>>     exclude list "/usr/local/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"
>>     priority low
>> }
>>
>> define dumptype user-tar {
>>     root-tar
>>     comment "user partitions dumped with tar"
>>     exclude list "/usr/local/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M