Amanda-Users

Re: Tapetype for Onstream SC50

2002-08-17 21:45:39
Subject: Re: Tapetype for Onstream SC50
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Tanniel Simonian <tano AT quake.ucr DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:27:38 -0400
On Saturday 17 August 2002 20:27, Tanniel Simonian wrote:
>I spent about 10 hours running tapetype for an Onstream SC50, and
> only to lose the information to a power surge.
>
>Can anyone give me the tapetype of an Onstream SC50?
>
>If not, then I will run tapetype again, and put down the
> information for everyone's else benefit.
>
>Just wish it didn't take forever.

It has to fill the tape up twice in two different formats in order
to determine the capacity, and unforch, there isn't any magic
speedup button for that.

Be aware that the OnStream drives of the 30 and 50 gig sizes have
been the cause of a goodly amount to troubles as reported on this
list.  There appears to be some incompatibility when attempting to
recover.  I've never dealt with either, but many here have, usually
with less than stellar results.

Maybe someone who has made one of them work as advertised can come
forward with their "magic twanger" story and relate how its done.
Oh, oh...  The "Magic Twanger" phrase dates me as being pretty
ancient. :-)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M