Amanda-Users

Re: utilities hanging with -slot clean process

2002-08-16 16:01:21
Subject: Re: utilities hanging with -slot clean process
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Jason Greenberg <jg AT execulink DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:39:31 -0400
On Friday 16 August 2002 13:34, Jason Greenberg wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.  During many
> of my operations, such as amtape, amdump,  before anything
> happens, the process just seems to hang.  It must be caught in a
> loop somewhere.  I think it has something to do with the cleaning
> tape, because during this command:
>
>bash-2.05a$ /usr/sbin/amtape Execulink label Execulink02
>amtape: scanning for tape with label Execulink02
>
>I see this in the process list, once it has hung:
>
>[root@lon-backup root]# ps -feaw | grep zd
>amanda   19720 19675  0 13:22 pts/0    00:00:00 /bin/sh
>/usr/lib/amanda/chg-zd-mtx -search E02
>amanda   19780 19720  1 13:22 pts/0    00:00:06 /bin/sh
>/usr/lib/amanda/chg-zd-mtx -slot clean
>amanda   20297 19780  0 13:29 pts/0    00:00:00 /bin/sh
>/usr/lib/amanda/chg-zd-mtx -slot clean
>
>If I ctrl-c, and try again, it will work.  This seems to happen
> often, but not consistently.
>
>Any thoughts?

This might be off the wall to some, but this puppy has played at my
place before.

I had some problems with that earlier, and they all went by-by when
I stuffed the scsi card in the trash, ISTR it was an older adaptec
1540/1542 variation.  I also finally gave up making a different
copy of that card work here at home, seems it doesn't like tape
drives with robots or something.  Here I bought an advansys ABP-940
and all is now well, and the other machine now has an adaptec 2940
variation in it, working just fine.

How close am I?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M