Amanda-Users

Re: Confused, irritated. Small dumpcycle+tapecycle.

2002-08-16 14:43:22
Subject: Re: Confused, irritated. Small dumpcycle+tapecycle.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:29:20 -0400
On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 07:59:52PM +0200, Brian Jonnes wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Have been running amanda for a while now, but I'm really battling to get it
> configured right. Almost every day now I have to manually run amflush because
> amanda is generating dumps that are too big.
>
> I have a very small (relatively speaking) tapecycle: 7 tapes. I understand
> that my dumpcycle should be such that I end up with two full dumps of each

Well the optimum is 40 full dumps per tapecycle -- JOKE!!

No, it is not that you should have 2, but it is recommended that you have
at least 2.  My config happens to have a minimum of 4 in 24 tapes.

> disk per tapecycle. But amanda plans according to days, not runs.

Have you seen the parameter runspercycle.  It is unitless, not days or weeks.

> Am I being unreasonable here. I have Travan 4/8 GB tapes and am backing up
> around 20GB of data, but each disk is less than 2GB compressed. Should I be
> splitting the config?

Some info about your config would eliminate guess work.
2 dumpcycles in 7 tapes, looks like 3 runs per dumpcycle
plus 1 extra safety tape.

OK, your dumpcycle could be 1 week, 3 runs MWF?
Or 3 days, dump every day, but in each case 3 runs per dumpcycle.

That gives us 3 tapes @ about 3.8GB/tape, about 11.4GB to work with
for a set of full dumps plus incrementals.  After compression, is there
any possibility of your 20GB reliably fitting in this amount of tape
along with the incrementals?

Only you know your data, but it does not seem likely to me.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)