Amanda-Users

restoring a directory structure?

2002-08-16 12:40:45
Subject: restoring a directory structure?
From: "Nicholas Paufler" <npaufler AT incentre DOT net>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:18:49 -0600
What is the best way to restore an entire directory structure from an amanda
dump?
I'm using tar for my dumps so all of my disklist entries are directories,
not filesystems.
It's easy enough to go in through amrecover and restore individual files
(which works) and I am sure I can get amrestore to work (once I figure out
the correct syntax) but I can't find a simple way of restoring a whole
directory tree.

Say I want to restore all the files in a users home directory
(/home/users/joeuser) and since he has multiple subdirectories (which
probably contain subdirectories) I need a recursive restore of some kind.
Just saying add /home/users/joeuser/* doesn't work, since that will only
restore files in that directory as well as creating any subdirectories that
are off there (without restoring the contents of those directories).

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Nicholas Paufler
Systems Administrator
The Internet Centre