Amanda-Users

Re: Host Down on AMCHECK - what are the common error

2002-08-16 12:21:13
Subject: Re: Host Down on AMCHECK - what are the common error
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>, Kevin Passey <kpassey AT kdpsoftware.co DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:58:56 -0400
On Friday 16 August 2002 11:31, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 at 4:12pm, Kevin Passey wrote
>
>> When I run amcheck I get a Host down error - the host I am
>> trying to dump is my amanda server.
>>
>> I thought I'd start there then roll it out to my other servers
>> and PC.
>>
>> Can anybody point me in the right direction. I know it's vague
>> but where do I start.
>
>http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/13.html

Unforch, there's no mention of what to do if the system doesn't use
inetd, using xinetd instead.

For xinetd systems, it needs a file, or 3, I use one combined file
and it seems to work just fine.  This file is in /etc/xinetd.d as
'amanda', here is mine:
-------------------------
# default = off
#
# This is the list of daemons & such it needs
service amanda
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        wait            = yes
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}
service amandaidx
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
}

This really does need to be added to the link above in order to
cover all the bases.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M