Amanda-Users

Re: Problem - Amanda doesn't work

2002-08-15 12:10:01
Subject: Re: Problem - Amanda doesn't work
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Marcus Kramer" <marcus.kramer AT scherrer DOT de>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:59:54 -0400
On Thursday 15 August 2002 11:07, Marcus Kramer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>we recently installed RedHat 7.3 on our Internet Server. Now we
> are looking for a backup solution decided to try Amanda, which is
> included in the RedHat distribution. We have installed and
> configured it as described but have no opinion on setting the
> tapeype. We are using a DAT device from Sony with DDS2 tapes.

All of this is located in the amanda.conf file, and I'd hope by now
someone has managed to edit a DDS2 tapetype into the supplied
example.  If not, here is one such 'DDS2' entry which you can add
to your amanda.conf:
---------------------------

define tapetype DDS2 {
    comment "just produced by tapetype program"
    length 3780 mbytes
#   lbl-templ "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/DDS2.ps"
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 380 kps
}
----------------------------
Also, and I inadvertantly clipped that portion of your message while
clipping that out of my amanda.conf,  if you will consult your
amanda.conf while adding the above file someplace in the tapetypes
entries, you will also find a label section which describes the
permissable labeling format.  You can either stay within that
format, or change the format to suit your (apparently german)
native language.  Do whatever you are comfortable with as long as
the label chosen fits within that editable constraint.  This is
done I suspect so that one can have more than one set of tapes for
amanda's use, each 'set' with a different naming convention, and
amanda will then prevent you from in-advertantly mixing up the
tapes which is a Good Thing(tm) :-)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M