Amanda-Users

Re: Problem - Amanda doesn't work

2002-08-15 12:08:26
Subject: Re: Problem - Amanda doesn't work
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:56:54 -0400
On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 05:07:22PM +0200, Marcus Kramer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we recently installed RedHat 7.3 on our Internet Server. Now we are looking
> for a backup solution decided to try Amanda, which is included in the RedHat
> distribution. We have installed and configured it as described but have no
> opinion on setting the tapeype. We are using a DAT device from Sony with DDS2
> tapes.

Hard returns in long lines are appreciated by some unix mail readers.

> The output from mt status was:
> SCSI 2 tape drive:
> File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
> Tape block size 28672 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).  Soft error
> count since last status=0 General status bits on (41010000):
> BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
>

> First we tryed to label a tape with amlabel getting the output:
> [root@inetsrv root]# amlabel Freitag Freitag_1
> rewinding, reading label, not an amanda tape
> rewinding, writing label Freitag_1
> amlabel: writing label: Invalid argument
>
> In the messages we got the output:
> Aug 15 15:48:04 inetsrv kernel: st0: Write not multiple of tape block size.

I'm treading on very thin ice here.

Your mt status reports a block size.  I've not seen this,
but my guess is that is a configurable setting in either
the tape device or the driver.  Perhaps an mt option?

Amanda uses a 32K block size.  So the message
"Write not multiple of tape block size" is quite
reasonable given the reported block size of 28672 bytes.

28672?  28K?  Very interesting.  Anyone know why that
might be the setting?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)