Amanda-Users

Problem with samba mounted files over 2GB

2002-08-07 18:33:42
Subject: Problem with samba mounted files over 2GB
From: Jeff Engelhardt <jengelha AT gac DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 17:13:20 -0500
We are using amanda 2.4.2p2 and it is backing up files shared from a windows 2000 server. Some of the files on the server are larger than 2GB and that is confusing either amanda, tar or both. It dumps the files but we get warnings that look like:

/-- callisto.g //titan.olin.gac.edu/Olin lev 0 STRANGE
sendbackup: start [callisto.gac.edu://titan.olin.gac.edu/Olin level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/bin/smbclient
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gzip -dc |/usr/bin/smbclient -f... -
sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
sendbackup: info end
| session request to TITAN.OLIN.GAC. failed (Called name not present)
? Error reading file \OLINLABC.IMC : SUCCESS - 0
? Didn't get entire file. size=-1664615642, nread=-2024306176
? SUCCESS - 0 opening remote file \OLINLABD.IMC (\)
? SUCCESS - 0 opening remote file \OLINLABE.IMC (\)
? SUCCESS - 0 opening remote file \OLINLABF.IMC (\)
| tar: dumped 7 files and directories
| Total bytes written: 17472282112
sendbackup: size 17062776
sendbackup: end
\--------

When I try to restore it to check, it looks like it is going to restore everything to one file rather than the ten or so files that are there. The first file on the win2k server is around 2.3GB and when I stopped the restore that file was already over 3GB on the local restored location. The amanda box is running RedHat 7.3 with kernel 2.4.18-3smp. The tape drive is a DLT 7000. It appears to restore the dump correctly to one large file but I run into problems with I try to untar that. If I pipe the output to tar I get an error mentioning 64 tar header problems, but I do not have that up on my screen right now so I cannot quote it.

Thanks

Jeff

--
Jeff Engelhardt   Unix & Network Administrator
Department of Information Technology

jengelha AT gac DOT edu
http://www.gac.edu/~jengelha
(507)   933 7042