ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] dsm.opt file being corrupted/blanked

2018-01-31 07:49:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] dsm.opt file being corrupted/blanked
From: "De Kezel, Frederik" <frederik.dekezel AT ARCELORMITTAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 12:47:16 +0000
FYI.

I have seen this problem on numerous occasions and with various client versions
(Version 7, Release 1, Level 2.2 -> Version 8, Release 1, Level 2.0).
Our analysis is that it is indeed related to replication (we have two servers
that cross-replicate to each other).
And to the fact that we often perform multiple backup sessions in parallel (SQL
agent jobs that kick off dsmc.exe per database; we don't use TDP).

It seems that each session wants to write replication failover values to the
options file.
And when multiple sessions try to do that in parallel, they collide with each
other and end up completely wrecking the options file.

Workaround we have implemented: allow TSM to write failover values to the
options file just once and then mark it readonly.
Subsequent sessions can't write to it anymore and hence can't destroy the
options file.
Only drawback: each TSM session now causes the following alert to be written to
dsmerror.log:

ANS4058I A write failure occurred while attempting to save node replication
failover values to the options file.

We know what causes these alerts and choose to ignore them.
The backups themselves are not affected.

Rgds,

Frederik de Kezel | Industrial Windows Server Infrastructure
ArcelorMittal Gent

Industrial Automation & Modelling (IAM)
John Kennedylaan 51 | 9042 Gent | Belgium