ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Looking for a solution for DFS backups - a.k.a. how do you do it

2018-01-11 17:52:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Looking for a solution for DFS backups - a.k.a. how do you do it
From: "Harris, Steven" <steven.harris AT BTFINANCIALGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 22:49:03 +0000
I feel for you Zoltan

My users are demanding, but at least the corporate management structure means I
have some measure of control over their demands.

There is a TSM client REST API that came out at 7.1.3.  This can be used to run
backups and restores although the API guide explicitly states that it is not
supposed to be used for long-running tasks.  I don’t know if later versions
have lifted that restriction.

Since you are a university, you might have some smart coders available. I
envisage a web-based service that at the back end runs this API to select what
to restore and then run it.  That could all reside on the one box, with it
effectively being a reverse proxy to your Windows backup servers.

As you aren’t the only one in this particular bind, the result might be
commercially viable as a paid product.  If it gets that far I claim 5% OK?

Cheers

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin/Consultant