ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Looking for a solution for DFS backups - a.k.a. how do you do it

2018-01-11 15:42:16
Subject: [ADSM-L] Looking for a solution for DFS backups - a.k.a. how do you do it
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 15:39:08 -0500
With the demise of the B/A web-client in 7.1.8+, we are in desperate need
of an alternative solution to handling our DFS/ISILON backups.

Being a university, the big issue is that everyone wants control over
backups to be able to perform restores by themselves!

Our current (soon to be unusable) solution is 3-dedicated physical Windows
servers with 25-configurations/services (each) of the B/A client (each with
unique ports for the web-client).  The backup schedules contain the
specific filesystem/mount it backs up.  So, department level folks can use
a web browser to connect to the correct port on the backup servers to
manage their restores.

The volume of backups makes it almost impossible to shift everything to one
node (380TB / 225M objects) and if one server was able to handle it, it
would shift restore responsibility to some sort of "help desk"!

So, how do you handle this kind of scenario in your
institution/organization?

--
*Zoltan Forray*
Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator