ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Monthly backups of VMs

2017-11-18 06:01:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Monthly backups of VMs
From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 11:59:25 +0100
Steven,

It's probably not the reply you are looking for but Spectrum Protect Plus
can do this, you can have multiple SLA's attached to a VM and have one SLA
do a backup every day and retain it for say a month and have another SLA
create a backup every year and retain it for 7 years.

With Spectrum Protect I don't think it's a problem to make multiple
incremental backups of a VM to different datacenter nodes, I've seen people
do incremental forever backups via VE and also use other solutions on the
same VM to do the exact same without issues during backup or restore.

I haven't implemented it myself but the way CBT works with change ID's on
blocks it shouldn't be a problem.
So you can just "hack" the datamovers, create extra .opt files, schedulers
and schedule these backups from the Spectrum Protect server directly (not
using the VE webgui).
So that should open up the solution to create two incremental forever
backups using VE, just be sure you don't use tape. ;-)

Regards,
   Stefan (the Dutch Steven I guess :-) )