ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Magic Decoder Ring needed

2017-10-10 14:11:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Magic Decoder Ring needed
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 11:04:22 -0700
Hi Zoltan,

We ran into this recently, and it was caused by a firmware bug in a RAID
adapter that caused it not to fail and obviously-failing disk in our disk
spool. We followed the procedure here:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGSG7_7.1.6/tshoot/r_pdg_1330_1331_msg.html

It did take a few AUDIT VOLUME-MOVE DATA cycles to find everything but now
it's happy. In a few cases, the file shown by SHOW INVO was obviously
detritus, so we deleted it client-side with DELETE BACKUP instead of an
audit, because it takes a long time to audit our disk volumes.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 01:56:47PM -0400, Zoltan Forray wrote:
> Recently we started seeing these errors on one of our servers:
>
> 10/10/2017 13:35:51  ANR1330E The server has detected possible corruption
> in
>                       an object that is being restored or moved. The actual
>
>                       values for the incorrect frame are: magic 53454652
> hdr
>                       version    2 hdr length    32 sequence number
>  22610
>                       data length    3FFB0 server ID        0 segment ID
>
>                       2720223190 crc        0. (SESSION: 39218, PROCESS:
> 171)
> 10/10/2017 13:35:51  ANR1331E Invalid frame detected.  Expected magic
> 53454652
>
> The Process ID points to a Backup Stgpool process (the only thing running),
> not anything being "moved or restored".  There are also a bunch of sessions
> running/stuck/hung but that is a different problem.
>
> Any idea on how to determine what is causing this?  We've seen the error
> quite a few times within the past few days.
>
> --
> *Zoltan Forray*
> Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator
> Xymon Monitor Administrator
> VMware Administrator
> Virginia Commonwealth University
> UCC/Office of Technology Services
> www.ucc.vcu.edu
> zforray AT vcu DOT edu - 804-828-4807
> Don't be a phishing victim - VCU and other reputable organizations will
> never use email to request that you reply with your password, social
> security number or confidential personal information. For more details
> visit http://phishing.vcu.edu/

-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354