ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] BMR with Spectrum Protect 8.1 on Windows 2016 ??

2017-05-18 17:39:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] BMR with Spectrum Protect 8.1 on Windows 2016 ??
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 17:37:57 -0400
Tom,

First, I am sorry that this is all so confusing. We have action items for
updating the restore procedures to include Windows Server 2016 (and Windows
10), and to have a "Best Practices" document for backup, so your experience
is not lost on us -- rather, it underscores the need.

The information you found is from much older documentation (looks like
version 4.2) and that specific "recommendation" no longer appears in our
books. The latest IBM Spectrum Protect documentation can be found here:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEQVQ_8.1.0/tsm/welcome.html

If you prefer PDF files, you can find them here:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEQVQ_8.1.0/tsm/r_pdfs_tsm.html

Full transparency: The sample options file that ships with the client and
the GUI setup wizard still cite those EXCLUDE statements whose time has
come and gone, and we are actively working on getting rid of those in the
future.

Regards,

Andy

Andrew Raibeck | IBM Spectrum Protect Level 3 | storman AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager links:
Product support:
https://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/product/tivoli/tivoli_storage_manager

Online documentation:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7/landing/welcome_ssgsg7.html

Product Wiki:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2017-05-18
17:00:54:

> [...]
> your client options file:*
> *(some lines skipped)*
>

> *   exclude "*:\documents and settings\...\ntuser.dat.LOG"   exclude
> "*:\documents and settings\...\ntuser.dat"   exclude "*:\documents and
> settings\...\usrclass.dat.LOG"   exclude "*:\documents and
> settings\...\usrclass.dat"*
>
> Now it looks like those are needed for the new BMR process??
>

> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Tom Alverson <tom.alverson AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:
>
> > Andy:
> >
> > We use these settings for all windows clients:
> >
> > SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS VSS
> > SNAPSHOTPROVIDERIMAGE VSS
> > DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL
> >
> > We do have these exclusions in our list: (I have no idea why, I
inherited
> > the exclusion list)
> >
> > EXCLUDE "*:\Users\%username%\NTUSER.DAT"
> > EXCLUDE "*:\users\%username%\ntuser.dat.LOG1"
> > EXCLUDE "*:\users\%username%\ntuser.dat.LOG2"
> > EXCLUDE "*:\Users\...\ntuser.dat*"
> > EXCLUDE "*:\...\UsrClass.dat*"
> > EXCLUDE "*:\Documents and Settings\...\UsrClass.dat.LOG"
> > EXCLUDE "*:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
\UsrClass.dat"
> > EXCLUDE "*:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\
> > UsrClass.dat.LOG1"
> >
> > On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 3:34 PM, Andrew Raibeck <storman AT us.ibm DOT com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Tom, glad to hear this is making progress.
> >>
> >> What does your exclude list look like? For backups, make sure to do
the
> >> following:
> >>
> >> - Use the SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS VSS option during backup, so you get a
"crash
> >> consistent' backup of the system (system state and drives).
> >>
> >> - Don't exclude anything unless you are 100% certain that the files
are
> >> not
> >> needed for restore. For example, excluding C:\Users\Tom\*.mp3 is
probably
> >> okay, but excluding ntuser.dat or usrclass.* is not a good idea
(actually
> >> am guessing you either have excludes for the latter files I mentioned
or
> >> you are not using SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS VSS).
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Andy

> >> ________________
> >>
> >> Andrew Raibeck | IBM Spectrum Protect Level 3 | storman AT us.ibm DOT com
> >>
> >> IBM Tivoli Storage Manager links:
> >> Product support:
> >> https://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/product/tivoli/tivo
> >> li_storage_manager
> >>
> >> Online documentation:
> >> http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7/landing/
> >> welcome_ssgsg7.html
> >>
> >> Product Wiki:
> >> https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home/
> >> wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager
> >>
> >> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2017-05-18

Failed to

<storman AT us.ibm DOT com

> >> for

> >> we