ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to backup Billions of files ??

2017-03-20 17:48:53
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to backup Billions of files ??
From: "Harris, Steven" <steven.harris AT BTFINANCIALGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 21:46:26 +0000
Bo

The problem with small files is that the TSM database entry may well be larger
than the file you are storing. If your files are less than about 3000 bytes
that will be the case.

What is happening is that the file system is being used as a database.  A
complex file path becomes the key and the file content is the data.
I realize this has probably been dumped on you without consultation, but a
database is probably a better fit.  It could be something as simple as a
key/value store (maybe one per day) or as complex as a document DB like
Couchbase.

A previous customer of mine did something similar.  It was logs of ecommerce
transactions that averaged about 1500 bytes each and had to be kept for 7
years.  A million transactions a day and growing.  They killed a TSM 5.5
database in 2 years, and when I left were well on the way to killing a TSM 6.3
database as well.  Any requests to alter the application were met with active
hostility.

Good Luck

Steve
Steven Harris