ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] AIX rmt devices in a library sharing environment - how do you handle them

2016-07-08 14:32:55
Subject: [ADSM-L] AIX rmt devices in a library sharing environment - how do you handle them
From: "Rhodes, Richard L." <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 18:31:18 +0000
Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering how others handle lining up tape paths of multiple TSM servers in
a library sharing environment.

We have a TSM library sharing environment across our TSM instances for sharing
our two 3584 libraries.  One 3584 at each datacenter with a dedicate TSm
instance for the library manager.

Currently I have a script that crawls through all TSM instances, gets the wwn
of each rmt device (lsattr -El rmtX), lines up all the wwn/rmt# for a drive and
creates TSM path commands.  Kind of brute force, but has worked very well over
the years.  I can create path cmds for everything in about 15m.  But, this
means that a particular drive can have many different rmtX devices across our
TSM servers.

A while ago I learned that you can rename a rmtX device (rendev -l rmtX -n
rmtY).  I've been thinking about a new system where I rename the rmtX devices
on each AIX lpar to a common name.

For example:  If a particular lpar has rmt1 which is our "a" 3584, and the
drive is frame 1 drive 1, then I could call it rmta11.  There is atape involved
with multi paths, so there  would also be -pri and -alt versions of the name
somehow.  So this particular drive would have the same AIX device name across
all AIX lpars.

So, I'm curious . . . What do you do to line up rmt devices?
Do you rename rmt devices to a common name, or, line up the many different rmt
devices?
If you rename rmt devices, what issues/problems have you worked through?

Thanks

Rick

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and
confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the
document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.