ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM server on RedHat 7

2016-05-26 13:01:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM server on RedHat 7
From: Henrik Ahlgren <pablo AT SEESTIETO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 20:00:19 +0300
True, but systemd units work much better, especially if you need to run
multiple dsmcad instance for some reason. Systemd knows the PIDs of
every service without trying to guess using pidof klusges so service
restarts won't kill wrong processes. I don't know why TSM clients still
ship with only the old school systemV init scripts, but at least in
linux you got something, unlike on unix platforms. Basic systemd service
unit is easy to do: consult the systemd.service(5) and systemd.exec(5)
manual pages.

There are some interesting possibilities, like perhaps using
ReadWriteDirectories, ReadOnlyDirectories, Capabilities to try somewhat
mitigate security risks involved in running the dsmcad (which ALWAYS
listens to the network!) as root.