ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Drive preference in TSM

2016-05-23 01:17:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Drive preference in TSM
From: S Kumar <our.tsm AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 10:44:25 +0530
Hi Maurice,

Thanks for pointing out at basic level.

But if you read my mail, where as i have clearly written about the feature
of drive preference in TSM rather than disk pool or any other alternate.

I am not looking for alternate in my current setup. If i have plenty of
drive in my setup than why will use the disk pool. Also i have the
sufficient SAN Agent license for that.

Some where i had read, TSM is fully capable to take the backup in tape,
then why we should not use?

Draw back of using the disk/file pool is, if disk/file pool and your data
exist in same storage. Suppose if your storage fail or it is not
recoverable, than it is no use. You can'nt restore data from disk pool as
it is in same storage.

So it is wise to do not use from same storage for backup and data purpose.

And most of the customer do not have multiple storage.

Two feature i missing in TSM and i am looking for it and if it is available
its good

1. Drive preference for node.
2. Copy of node data in same TSM Server for safety purpose. Not in replica.
So that we can have two physical media for same node data.

Regards,

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 10:03 PM, Maurice van 't Loo <maurice AT backitup DOT
nu>