ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Deduplication questions, again

2016-03-22 05:52:28
Subject: [ADSM-L] Deduplication questions, again
From: PAC Brion Arnaud <Arnaud.Brion AT PANALPINA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 10:51:03 +0100
Hi All,

Another question in regards of TSM container based deduplicated pools ...

Are you experiencing the same behavior than this : using "q stg f=d" targeting
a deduped container based storage pool, I observe following output :

q stg f=d

                    Storage Pool Name: CONT_STG
                    Storage Pool Type: Primary
                    Device Class Name:
                         Storage Type: DIRECTORY
                           Cloud Type:
                            Cloud URL:
                       Cloud Identity:
                       Cloud Location:
                   Estimated Capacity: 5,087 G
                   Space Trigger Util:
                             Pct Util: 55.8
                             Pct Migr:
                          Pct Logical: 100.0
                         High Mig Pct:

Skipped few lines ...

                           Compressed: No
                Deduplication Savings: 0 (0%)
                  Compression Savings: 0 (0%)
                    Total Space Saved: 0 (0%)
                       Auto-copy Mode:
Contains Data Deduplicated by Client?:
         Maximum Simultaneous Writers: No Limit
              Protection Storage Pool: CONT_STG
              Date of Last Protection: 03/22/16   05:00:27
         Deduplicate Requires Backup?:
                            Encrypted:
                   Space Utilized(MB):

Note the "deduplication savings" output ( 0 %)

However, using "q dedupstats" on the same stgpool, I get following output :
(just a snippet of it)

                Date/Time: 03/17/16   16:31:24
        Storage Pool Name: CONT_STG
                Node Name: CH1RS901
           Filespace Name: /
                     FSID: 3
                     Type: Bkup
  Total Saving Percentage: 78.11
Total Data Protected (MB): 170

                Date/Time: 03/17/16   16:31:24
        Storage Pool Name: CONT_STG
                Node Name: CH1RS901
           Filespace Name: /usr
                     FSID: 4
                     Type: Bkup
  Total Saving Percentage: 62.25
Total Data Protected (MB): 2,260

How does it come that on one side I witness dedup, but not on the other one ?

Thanks for enlightenments !

Cheers.

Arnaud