ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] AIX large pages with TSM

2015-03-12 06:06:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] AIX large pages with TSM
From: HD Kutz <spambehaelter AT HDKUTZ DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 11:05:17 +0100
On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 12:20:42PM -0400, Andrew Galloway wrote:
> We have 2 TSM 6.3.5 servers running on zLinux.  Is this something we could
> leverage?
>

> __________________________
> Andrew Galloway
> Operational Systems Continuity Analyst
> SSC RCMP Technology Directorate
> CIO Building C1035
> R.C.M.P. Headquarters
> 1200 Vanier Parkway
> Ottawa ON
> K1A 0R2
> 613.998.7707
> andrew.galloway AT ssc-spc DOT gc.ca__________________________
> I've been in meetings/training this week about AIX LPM and other stuff
> related with LPARS.  We got talking about our TSM servers, and the IBM leader
> mentioned a presentation given a while ago at a IBM conference about using
> LARGE PAGES (16MB) with TSM to prevent lock contention.  This is supposed to
> help if you drive some large number of tape drives concurrently. He mentioned
> one company that implemented this and saw a 20% increase in tape throughput.
>
> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21649823&aid=1
>
> I'm curious if anyone out there has heard of this and possibly implemented
> large pages for TSM.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rick

> The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal
> and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this
> message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering
> it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
> this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or
> copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
> communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original
> message.

Hello,
we are using Large Pages with AIX 7.1.3 in TSM 7.1.1 Environment with 4
VIOServer 2.2.2.4 and 6 TSM Servers.
.
First - Performance is good - but:
We see a problem of 100% System Wait on our Servers when Starting up TSM Server.
Possible cause of this is a bug in combination using a Library Server and SAN
Discovery.

When the above comes together there is only one solution:
- Rename/Move the SAN Discovery Binary
- error pops up in TSM Activity Log (can't find Binary)
- Rename/Move Back SAN Dicovery Binary

After that everything went smooth and works as desired.
A call to IBM TSm Support is still open.

--
Han Solo:
        This is not going to work.