ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] FCM Local Backup Volumes not returned to "VSS_RESERVED" Host

2014-11-19 08:12:35
Subject: [ADSM-L] FCM Local Backup Volumes not returned to "VSS_RESERVED" Host
From: Tom-Alesandros AT GMX DOT NET
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 14:09:51 +0100
Hello,

in our Exchange DAG Environment (Windows Server 2008 R2, Exchange 2010 SP3,
Flashcopy Manager 3.2) we have one server (VM) dedicated to doing backups.
The Backups are not sent to TSM Server, but done locally on V7000, without
SE-Volumes or Thin Provisioning.

On the V7000 Storage we defined a "fake" host VSS_FREE with the FC Port
5000000000000000 that contains all the empty Volumes, and a host VSS_RESERVED
with Port number 5000000000000001 to take care of the used volumes, as stated
in the Flashcopy Manager manual. However, there is never even a single LUN
moved to the VSS_RESERVED Host. All LUNs are still attached to the Exchange
Server, which is a problem, because one HBA can only address 128 LUNs.
I have only found this one passage about VSS_RESERVED host in the
documentation. Is there anything I have to do to make this work?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.