ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Exchange DAG question

2014-10-12 03:13:47
Subject: [ADSM-L] Exchange DAG question
From: Robert Ouzen <rouzen AT UNIV.HAIFA.AC DOT IL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 07:12:40 +0000
Hi to all

I have an environment for my Exchange as:

·         2 servers with exchange 2010

·         O.S Windows 2008R2 64B

·         TSM client version  7.1.1

·         TSM TDP for exchange version  7.1.0

·         TSM server version 7.1.1

I backup those exchange server with DAG configuration  ( only one filesystem)
with the configuration of proxy as:

Target Node         Agent Node
---------------     ---------------------------------------------
EXCHSRVAN_DB        EXCHSRVA
EXCHSRVBN_DB        EXCHSRVB
DAG_EXCHANGE        EXCHSRVA EXCHSRVAN_DB EXCHSRVB EXCHSRVBN_DB

All the databases’ are configure on each server as half active and passive and
vice versa.

I run every day 3 logs backups and one a week a full backup for each server
with those commands:

Logs:

start /B tdpexcc backup * incr /MIN=60  /EXCLUDEDAGPASsive /SKIPINTEGRITYCHECK
/tsmoptfile=dsm.opt  /DAGNODE=DAG_EXCHANGE  /logfile=excsch.log >> excincr.log

Full:

start /B tdpexcc backup * full /MIN=60 /EXCLUDEDAGPASsive /SKIPINTEGRITYCHECK
/tsmoptfile=dsm.opt  /DAGNODE=DAG_EXCHANGE   /logfile=excsch.log >> excfull.log

I understand via documentation that  DP/Exchange does not actually truncate the
logs, the Exchange Server does the actual truncation.

When a DP/Exchange backup completes successfully, it will tell the Exchange
Server that it has stored the backup and that it can truncate the logs.

At that point, the Exchange Server decides on the appropriate time to truncate
the logs.

So if one or more of my DB log  got full I need first to increase the space on
each server  and only after it to run a log or full backup of this specific DB
to clean the logs?

It’s a parameter /PREFERDAGPAS that I don’t quite understand the purpose and if
I need it on the commands ? Any other suggestions will be appreciate too.

Best Regards

Robert Ouzen