ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Lib client mounts and firewall timeouts.

2014-05-27 10:05:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Lib client mounts and firewall timeouts.
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 10:03:34 -0400
-----Steve Harris wrote: -----

>I have a situation that is causing me grief.  As part of a V5 to V6
>upgrade I have implemented library managers.  These live in one part
>of
>the network and the library clients live in another separated by a
>firewall.  The customer insists that timeouts be implemented on the
>firewall for any session over 60 minutes: its a security thing for
>some
>reason and is non-negotiable.
>
>At times I get a lot of mounts queued, in the past when these were
>local
>mounts, they would eventually resolve themselves but now they time
>out
>in the firewall, never complete, and I get a cascading blockage
>until
>the whole server grinds to a halt.
>
>I'm told I can set recourcetimeout to less than the firewall timeout
>and
>that will cause the mounts to fail, but a lot of these are oracle
>and
>DB2 backups and they won't retry in a reasonable manner.
>
>Yes, I could use devicelasses and mount limits to reserve drives, and
>could put some stuff on disk that now goes direct to tape, but
>neither
>of those are palatable.
>
>Of course the easiest thing would be to have the library clients use
>keepalives on their sessions, as was added in recent versions for
>NDMP
>backups.  I have raised an RFE to this effect at
>
>http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID
=
>54030
>
>and I'd appreciate your votes.
>
>Does anyone have bright ideas on how to proceed?  I have thought
>about SSL port forwarding, but apparently bypassing the controls that
>way is frowned upon. Even if the RFE gets up, it won't help me as
>half of the clients are still TSM 5.5 for the next six months or so
>while we cut them over.

If your TSM servers run under Linux you can use libkeepalive to
make TCP connections use keepalive packets. We also have firewalls
with a one hour timeout between our library manager and its
clients. We had the kind of problems you describe when we first
set up our current TSM environment. We have never had any
trouble with firewall timeouts since we installed
libkeepalive and set the appropriate environment variables
for the TSM server processes.

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
We have