ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange backups

2014-05-14 19:19:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange backups
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 23:17:16 +0000
Short answer:
Yes it's different depending on the version of Exchange and the version of the
TDP.

Longer answer:

With old versions of Exchange and TDP, doing only legacy backups, you only had
the TDP client and a TDP scheduler service.

Starting with Exchange 2010, you can no longer do Legacy backups, you are
*required* to do VSS backups.
If you do VSS backups, you have the admin account and dsmcad involved, and
dsmcad takes on the function of being the VSS requestor (in addition to its
roles as webclient-server-upper and managed-services-scheduler-manager).  (It's
not going to make sense from the server side, you would have to see how it is
installed on the client side to know.)

And starting with Exchange 2010, most sites us DAG databases, which is
different than storage groups in Exchange 2007.  When you do DAG DB's, it is to
your advantage to use proxy nodes so that all the filespaces are lodged under
one TSM nodename.  That prevents you from getting multiple copies of backups
when DB's fail back and forth between Exchange servers, which is what 2010-2013
DAGs are designed to do.  Also lets you restore any DB to any Exchange server.

So stuff changes depending on whether you are using a V5 TDP with Ex 2007
Legacy, V5 TDP with Ex 2007 VSS, V6 TDP with Ex2007 legacy, V6 TDP with EX2007
VSS, EX2010 with VSS ,EX2010 with VSS and DAGs and Proxies Oh My.

Some of it is change in the TDP structure, some of it due to change in Exchange
structure, some of it due to TDP changes made to handle the new Exchange
features.

(And I also don't know why sometimes the Exchange TDP reports as MSExchange and
sometimes as WinNT.  It's annoying and not consistent, and doesn't seem to have
a Why).