ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] looking for experiences with the ibm 3584 library

2014-05-02 18:02:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] looking for experiences with the ibm 3584 library
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 22:00:32 +0000
I have worked with many customers with many types of tape libraries.
The 3584 (now known as the TS3500) is my favorite.
I don't think you can buy anything better, or easier to use.

If you are connecting to your 3494 via SCSI cable, you won't see much
difference in behavior.

If you are using the TCP/IP application for library communication, that goes
away and you communicate through one of the drive cables, there is no separate
connection to the library (I know that sounds weird at first, don't worry it's
easy.)

You have none of the library "categories" that sometimes cause you grief; you
can logically partition the library via it's very nice, clean web interface
without  that, just using volser ranges.

Externally what you'll see different is the absence of the external console and
internal PC; that is all on boards or in firmware now.
The robot is also dramatically faster.
Operationally, with TSM I think the syntax of the checkin command is somewhat
different.

Just as robust/reliable as the 3494.

If you expect to have multiple servers/apps using the library, go ahead and pay
for the ALMS feature; library partitioning works much better/easier with it.

Shorter answer:
Better, faster, simpler to use.

Wanda