ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Granular controls on restore/access

2013-12-02 10:41:41
Subject: [ADSM-L] Granular controls on restore/access
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 10:38:54 -0500
Just had a discussion with my lead Windows tech on a request that could
generate a lot of TSM reconfiguration and we are wondering how other
places, especially other universities handle this kind of
environment/request.

We are trying to determine if we want to create a precedent that could
generate even more work, especially for the Windows folks (multiple
nodes/services on Windows boxes is a pain!)

*Current Environment:*
1-W2K3 server has multiple shares/folders. The backups are at the
highest/server level as a single node.  Restore requests go through the
help-desk/administrator of this server.

*Problem:*
Administrator wants to get out of the job of performing restores.  They
want to let the individual mount/shares/folder owners do their own restores.

*Suggested Solution:*
Reconfigure as multiple nodes on this server, with individual schedules,
administrators, etc.

I am running the latest TSM servers, 6.3.4.200 but I don't see any
granularity at the administrator level (i.e. filespace level).  Not sure
what the new LDAP interface offers other than configuration nightmares
(from what I have read, here!).

Yes, we have other large CIFS servers setup this way - but that was planned
in advance - not a "lets reconfigure all shared servers for multiple TSM
nodes".

Open for any suggestions/idea for a better way to do this.

--
*Zoltan Forray*
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator