ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM Dedup stgpool target

2013-11-13 10:34:04
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM Dedup stgpool target
From: "Sergio O. Fuentes" <sfuentes AT UMD DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 15:32:18 +0000
In an earlier thread, I polled this group on whether people recommend going
with an array-based dedup solution or doing a TSM dedup solution.  Well, the
answers came back mixed, obviously with an 'It depends'-type clause.

So, moving on…  assuming that I'm using TSM dedup, what sort of target arrays
are people putting behind their TSM servers.   Assume here, also, that you'll
be having multiple TSM servers,  another backup product, *coughveeam and
potentially having to do backup stgpools on the dedup stgpools.  I ask because
I've been barking up the mid-tier storage array market as our potential disk
based backup target simply because of the combination of cost, performance, and
scalability.  I'd prefer something that is dense I.e. more capacity less
footprint and can scale up to 400TB.  It seems like vendors get disappointed
when you're asking for a 400TB array with just SATA disk simply for backup
targets.  None of that fancy array intelligence like auto-tiering, large
caches, replication, dedup, etc.. is required.

Is there another storage market I should be looking at, I.e. really dumb raid
arrays, direct attached, NAS, etc…

Any feedback is appreciated, even the 'it depends'-type.

Thanks!
Sergio