ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Exclude client disk and TSM stgpools in performance testing

2013-11-14 06:45:58
Subject: [ADSM-L] Exclude client disk and TSM stgpools in performance testing
From: Hans Christian Riksheim <bullhcr AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:44:57 +0100
Hi!

When we have performance problems with backups there is always a lot of
finger pointing. Disk/network/TSM is to blame dependant on which group you
belong to.

What I would like to do is to use the TSM client-server infrastructure to
test performance but exclude from the equation any disk bottlenecks on both
ends.

Like "dsmc sel <virtualfile> size=30G" on the client where virtualfile is
something the BA client itself generates on the fly. It could be just
zeroes or maybe even better, something with user defined compressibility if
we test to a tape drive.

On the TSM server I would like to have a copygroup pointing to /dev/null or
something similar which we know for certain is not a bottleneck.

I often test ftp with input from /dev/zero out to /dev/null to test the
network in combination with the OS tcp stack/settings on both client and
server but that does not test the tunables on the TSM client or the TSM
server itself.

Maybe a ram disk in both ends.is possible(Is file pool on ramdisk allowed
by the way?)

Any ideas or if not is this RFE material?

Regards,

Hans Chr.