ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Re: 3584 ALMS and uncleaned drives

2013-09-13 14:47:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Re: 3584 ALMS and uncleaned drives
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 13:46:03 -0500
I've historically seen errpt errors (AIX 5 and 6) with the Atape driver and
multiple generations of both 3590 and 3592 tape drives in both 3494 and 3584
libraries where the library managed the cleaning.  There is a "drive needs
cleaning" message and two SIM/MIM messages, one indicating the cleaning is
needed and one indicating the drive has been cleaned (after decoding the
detail data).  With the 3592 drives, sometimes I now only see two of the
three messages (though I forget which is sometimes missing).

Typically, I'll also see the "drive cleaned" SIM message when the drive has
been manually cleaned, e.g. by our IBM CE.

If you see the "drive needs cleaning" (E507DCF9 for my current drives)
without a corresponding SIM/MIM message or two (A7AB4C8F), I would worry that
the drives aren't being cleaned.  As Rick notes, a drive that needs cleaning
should display a message on the drive display and in the web interface, too.

=Dave