ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DR with automated library

2013-08-13 11:53:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DR with automated library
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:51:16 -0400
-----David Ehresman wrote: -----

>Has anyone successfully done a DR (test) using an automated library
>(as opposed to defining a manual library)?  If so, what are the
>needed changes to devconfig?

We used to do this successfully with a Version 5 server. The
original server had an IBM 3494 library. The replacement
configuration at our DR site changed over the years. We
initially got a 3494, and later got a TS3500. We created
a device configuration file from scratch based on the
special file names for for tape and library devices and
on the results of queries issued with tape utility
programs.

I have never had occasion to try this with our Version 6
servers; our tape library is several miles from either of
the TSM servers. I gather that the Version 6 device
configuration file contains information about the state of
the database that cannot be created from scratch.

As far as I can tell from our Version 5 DR instructions,
the changes needed for a pre-existing device configuration
file would be as follows:

1.If changing from 3494 to SCSI library or vice versa,
replace the 'DEFINE LIBRARY' command.

2.If changing library type or keeping the same library
type but changing the special file name for the library,
update the 'DEFINE PATH' command for the library.

3.If the DR site has fewer tape drives than the original
configuration, remove excess 'DEFINE DRIVE' and 'DEFINE
PATH' commands.

4.If the DR site has a SCSI library, add or modify
'element=' operands in the 'DEFINE DRIVE' commands to
match the DR site drive locations.

5.If the DR site has different special file names for
tape drives, update the 'DEFINE PATH' commands for
the drives.

6.If the DR site has a SCSI library, add or modify
'/* LIBRARYINVENTORY ...' lines to match the volume
locations in the replacement library.

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital