ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Question about library type of SCSI or VTL

2013-08-03 13:11:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Question about library type of SCSI or VTL
From: Karel Bos <tsm.wad AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 19:10:22 +0200
Having to handle 200+ tape devices on 500+ clients (large part windows with
the fun stuff of some devices losing their device driver) doesnt sound very
appealing to me. So I am sure we stick to scsi lib type for vtls for now
and skip libt vtl untill its improved.

Op 2 aug. 2013 16:34 schreef "Michael Prix" <mp AT rs6000.darktech DOT org> het
volgende:

> Two drawbacks:
>
> if you backup NAS direct to VTL (Filer to Server), libtype can't be VTL.
> If you performe library sharing with the VTL, or use lanfree, all drives
of the VTL known to TSM must be made available to the other servers -
otherwise you have to use libtype SCSI.

> --
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>
> Michael Prix
>

> On 08/02/2013 01:55 PM, Nick Laflamme wrote:
>>
>> Off the top of my head:
>>
>> 1) dsmserv will auto sense drives and paths for devtype=VTL
>> 2) Some waits for operation completion are shortened when you tell TSM
it's
>> all virtual, not real.
>>
>> The latter is the larger benefit, of course.
>>
>> I haven't seen any drawbacks to VTL.
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> On Friday, August 2, 2013, Robert Ouzen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi to all
>>>
>>> I have on a TSM server 6.3.4 with  O.S Windows 2008 R2 64B , a library
for
>>> my Data Domain storage.
>>>
>>> For now my libr DDVTL in on type library type=scsi  (history)
>>>
>>> I am occur that in version 6 is an another option of library type= VTL
>>>
>>> Don’t quiet understand the difference ?
>>>
>>> What will be best option , I backup thru Data Domain with device type
FILE