ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Deduplication/replication options

2013-07-23 16:29:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Deduplication/replication options
From: "Vandeventer, Harold [BS]" <Harold.Vandeventer AT KS DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 20:27:42 +0000
I'm using Data Domain as the only dedup component.  Mgmt is balking at the cost
additional disk or tape pools with TSM dedup and the highly desired "backup to
non-dedup pool."  Our current tape technology is quite old and replacing with
several new drives and library hardware isn't on the financial agenda.

We have Data Domain in two data centers.

A TSM pool on the DD is replicated to the alternate DD via DD replication.  It
replicates the de-duped data, so latency/bandwidth is less of an issue.

An second TSM server will see the other DD as a Pool, or at least that's the
plan.  Haven't fully tested yet.

Had to carefully define the Device Class to make sure the path name is
identical on both ends.
Will have to stop DD replication, at least temporarily, to test it.

But, haven't tested yet.