ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Deduplication/replication options

2013-07-23 17:54:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Deduplication/replication options
From: "Huebner, Andy" <andy.huebner AT ALCON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 21:52:56 +0000
I have no experience with TSM de-dup, but I have plenty with Data Domain.

We have 3 different disaster recovery methods for 3 sites.
1.  The largest site is traditional TSM, write the data to a primary pool (DD
VTL) and make copies to physical tape and use a truck to move them away.

2. Medium site has a secondary DC 60 miles away and plenty of bandwidth.  That
site does DD to DD replication and disk array replication of the TSM disks.
This results in a DR time of about 1 hour to start up the DR location.  No copy
tape.

3. A small site with DD to DD replication and a cold TSM instance at the DR
site that will restore from the replicated DD. No copy tape.

#1 is the safest because it uses copy tape.
#2 & #3 get the data to safety the fastest.

My preference is DD to DD replication and to make physical copy tapes of the
production stuff.  We have had corrupt tapes in the DD dues to the DD crashing.
 This is rare, but does happen.

Both are valid depending on the amount of money you have to spend.

We did not look at TSM de-dup because our servers are out of cycles already.

Be sure to test any DR plans if you are using DD VTL.  There are some
interesting problems with serial number changes.

Andy Huebner