ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Domain, Management Class and Copy Group Best Practices

2013-05-08 16:32:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Domain, Management Class and Copy Group Best Practices
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 13:29:14 -0700
FWIW, here's the characteristics we use to split up our storage pools:

* Backup vs archive - we segregate archives from backups since their
retention (and subsequent reclamation) is so much longer than backups

* Library - obviously we need to have separate storage pool hierarchies
for separate libraries

* Simultaneous copy - some of our clients are so slow that they can't
make effective use of simultaneous copy, so we have a separate hierarchy
on one server for those systems that does not do simultaneous copy.

I guess in my mind a file from Windows is no different than a file from
UNIX, so it doesn't make sense to segregate storage based on source
platform.

-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354