ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM for z/OS Media Server

2012-01-26 08:24:55
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM for z/OS Media Server
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:19:18 -0600
Is anyone working with the TSM for z/OS Media Server component of TSM 6.3 yet?

It seems tailor made for us; we have about 12 TSM images on z/OS that we'd like
to replace with TSM on UNIX(-like?) platforms. On the other hand, our only z/OS
staff member with much TSM knowledge just resigned, so we'd have to train
another of the z/OS staff not to be afraid of the TSM started tasks. :-)

Perusing the 6.3 manuals yesterday, it looks like there's a 1:1 relationship
between media servers and old TSM started tasks, which seems a pity when we
have several TSM images in the same LPAR. Am I reading that right?

I'm also anxious about whether we'd get enough CPU cycles on the mainframe to
make the migration palatably fast.

Any encouraging words?

Thanks,
Nick