ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Portable restore from TDP for Databases (SQL) ?

2011-03-30 09:07:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Portable restore from TDP for Databases (SQL) ?
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:02:43 -0400
Rick,

One thing to understand about SQL Server legacy (VDI) backups:
The backups are a "stream of bytes". Data Protection for SQL
does not read and write files. The SQL Server gives
Data Protection for SQL a stream of bytes at backup time,
and Data Protection for SQL gives the SQL Server those
stream of bytes at restore time.

Now.. having said that, you can solve your problem by
redirecting the restore of the backup into
a "temporary" database name and relocate the files.
After the restore is complete, you will have the
temporary database with all the database files
(.MDF, .LDF, .etc.) under your temporary directory.
Use the "Restore Into" and "Relocate" abilities of
Data Protection for SQL to accomplish this.
This technote might help:

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 03/30/2011
08:41:24 AM: