ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Archiving 50tb data with millions of files

2010-11-04 15:49:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Archiving 50tb data with millions of files
From: Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT WINN-DIXIE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 15:24:01 -0400
Think about it this way, each file that is backed up or archived has an
impact to the TSM db. Similarly an image has the same impact to the
database as a file. So rather than having 50,000,000+ entries into the
database (one for each file), you only have one entry for the entire
image. The image impact to the database is negligible at best. Another
plus is the speed of the image process, in my operation it takes about
1/5 of the time to image compared to backup. As far as storage it
obviously needs to go to a primary pool, tape or otherwise. Assuming you
only need one copy the ideal situation would be a primary tape pool with
no copy pool.

~Rick