ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Archiving 50tb data with millions of files

2010-11-07 12:07:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Archiving 50tb data with millions of files
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <kellyjlipp AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 10:06:14 -0700
And I would also factor in how often is this archive going to be accessed?
If, like most archives, never, then I really like the backupset option.  If
there is a likelihood of frequent access then you will want to have the data
more readily accessible so a second TSM instance just for that data (and
other archive data) might be the ticket.  Then one might ask should I do
this in 5.5 or 6.2?  5.5 would require a much smaller database but the
instance would then need to be on a separate server from the 6.2 instance.

Finally, you say millions of files.  Is the number tens or hundreds of
millions?  Tens I don't worry so much.  Hundreds, I start to worry.

Thanks,

Kelly J. Lipp
Expert Archive Solutions
719-531-5574