ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Library Partitioning and TSM licencing

2010-06-28 02:54:59
Subject: [ADSM-L] Library Partitioning and TSM licencing
From: Steve Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 02:54:06 -0400
Hi All

So, I'm sizing up a server for a new client.  We have LTO3s at the moment
and my prediction is 113 slots now and 339 slots down the track a few
years.

We don't have LTO4s but the library is capable and they cost almost as much
as more LTO3s... 56/169 slots.

Then it hits me. Suppose we buy a new small library with two LTO5 drives.
Now the initial requirement is down to 32 slots. That is small enough to
use a TSM Basic Edition licence rather than an Extended edition one, at a
substantial saving on each PVU.

Perfect. So we buy something like an IBM TS3310.  Should the app not grow
as much as predicted, we can keep within the small library and stay with
basic licencing.  If it grows then we have the incoming revenue stream to
upgrade the TSM licences.

But.... I have other customers who would fit nicely into this niche.  What
if I were to buy the same library and use its partitioning facility, so
that every customer had enough hardware to qualify for basic edition?

Can I do this? or will I have to pay big bucks for the TSM Client licences
because the library is capable of more?

I'm sure some of you must have gone down this road....

Thanks for your thoughts

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin