ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Questions about ITDT and tapeutil

2010-03-19 14:34:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Questions about ITDT and tapeutil
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:32:24 -0400
On Mar 18, 2010, at 11:47 AM, John D. Schneider wrote:

> So when I run tapeutil it says I should stop using it, and use ITDT
> instead.  But when I run ITDT, it just calls tapeutil itself!  Am I the
> only person who fails to see the logic in this?

As you indicate, John, wacky stuff.  The confusion seems to be miscommunication
between the people who are developing the software and those responsible for
putting together packages such as IBMtape, where the latter people seem to be
under the false impression that ITDT is a done deal, which in fact it is a work
in progress.

As IBM document S4000662 says:
"This new version of ITDT now supports and eventually will replace the tape
utility program (tapeutil) provided by the device driver."
Until that development occurs, it looks like ITDT will invoke tapeutil to
perform functions that will later be incorporated into ITDT.

   Richard Sims